Definition of Pumpkin vine
1. Noun. A coarse vine widely cultivated for its large pulpy round orange fruit with firm orange skin and numerous seeds; subspecies of Cucurbita pepo include the summer squashes and a few autumn squashes.
Terms within: Pumpkin, Pumpkin Seed
Group relationships: Cucurbita, Genus Cucurbita
Generic synonyms: Squash, Squash Vine
Pumpkin Vine Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pumpkin Vine Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pumpkin Vine
Literary usage of Pumpkin vine
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of Nature-study for Teachers and Parents: Based on the Cornell by Anna Botsford Comstock (1911)
"Describe the stems of the pumpkin vine; how are they strengthened and protected? ... Have you ever found a pumpkin vine climbing up any object ..."
2. Army Life of an Illinois Soldier: Including a Day by Day Record of Sherman's by Charles Wright Wills (1906)
"... pumpkin vine Creek, near Dallas, Ga., May 26, 1864, 8 am We did not make more than seven or eight miles yesterday, on account of some bad road that ..."
3. Itinerary of the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1864, with Roster by Lawrence Wilson (1907)
"pumpkin vine CREEK, DALLAS, AND NEW HOPE CHURCH. On the 23rd, moved to and across Etowah River and the next day to Burnt Hickory. ..."
4. Historical Sketches and Reminiscences of Madison County, Indiana: A Detailed by John La Rue Forkner, Byron H. Dyson (1897)
"... a purer air than the autumn breath, when •' the frost wns on the pumpkin vine," as through the woods the scholars romped and played, sometimes too long, ..."
5. Peterson's Magazine (1876)
""A pumpkin-vine? Oh, Mrs. Lawrence, can she change a pumpkin into a coach, and rats and lizards into horses and coachmen ?" asked Minnie, in an eager ..."
6. The Culture Readers: Embodying the Natural Method in Reading by Ellen E. Kenyon-Warner (1904)
"The pumpkin vine lives in the corn field. 2. The farmer plants his corn field in ... In and out among these little hills, the pumpkin vine comes creeping. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Pumpkin vine