¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Puparium
1. a pupal shell [n -IA] : PUPARIAL [adj]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Puparium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Puparium
puparium (current term)
Literary usage of Puparium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to Entomology by John Henry Comstock (1920)
"The puparium.—The pupal stadium of most Diptera is passed within the last larval skin, ... In some families the puparium retains the form of the larva; ..."
2. An Account of the Insects Noxious to Agriculture and Plants in New Zealand by William Miles Maskell (1887)
"Female puparium circular, pellicles usually in the centre ; male puparium slightly ... Female puparium more or less circular, pellicles near the centre ..."
3. The House Fly, Disease Carrier: An Account of Its Dangerous Activities and by Leland Ossian Howard (1911)
"The Pupa and puparium Before beginning its transformation to the pupa, the full-grown larva empties its alimentary canal, contracts from its own skin, ..."
4. Monograph of the Coccidæ of the British Isles by Robert Newstead (1901)
"puparium of adult female elongate, widened posteriorly. ... puparium of adult female pyriform, as in the preceding; exuviae terminal. ..."
5. Report of the United States Entomological Commission by United States Entomological commission (1885)
"The puparium of ... swollen tubercles, and the space between them and the tip of the puparium is very irregular and has a conspicuous transverse depression. ..."
6. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1896)
"The characters noticeable are :— C. Ç puparium exceedingly thin and papery. $ puparium snow-white ... 2nd Ç pellicle scarcely reaching to £ of the puparium. ..."