Definition of Quantile
1. Noun. (statistics) One of the class of values of a variate which divides the members of a batch or sample into equal-sized subgroups of adjacent values or a probability distribution into distributions of equal probability. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Quantile
1. any of the values of a random variable that divides a frequency distribution [n -S]
Medical Definition of Quantile
1. Division of a distribution into equal, ordered subgroups; deciles are tenths, quartiles are quarters, quintiles are fifths, terciles are thirds, centiles are hundredths. Origin: L. Quantum, how much, + -ilis, adj. Suffix (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Quantile Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Quantile
Literary usage of Quantile
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. SAS(R) 9.1.3 Language Reference:: Dictionary, Fifth Edition, Volumes 1-4 by SAS Institute (2006)
"The quantile function computes the probability from various continuous and discrete distributions. For more information, see the on page 435. ..."
2. New Developments and Applications in Experimental Design: Selected by Nancy Flournoy, William F. Rosenberger, Weng Kee Wong (1998)
"Estimation of smaller quantiles than these requires allocating patients between two points, one low quantile and one highly toxic quantile. ..."
3. Stein's Method: Expository Lectures and Applications by Persi Diaconis, Susan Holmes (2004)
"OJ OJ ' Figure 5.3: quantile-quantile plot for W, Figure 5.4: Distribution plot for W estimated by empirical frequency method ..."
4. Sas/stat 9.1 User's Guide by SAS Institute, Virginia Clark (2004)
"EPS= value specifies the value E for a 100 x (1 — E)% confidence interval for the true probability content of the estimated (1 — ü)th quantile. ..."
5. Base SAS(R) 9.1.3 Procedures Guide, Second Edition, Volumes 1-4 by Sas Institute (2006)
"NROWS=n NROW=n specifies the number of rows in a comparative quantile plot. By default, NROWS=2. This option is not available unless you use the CLASS ..."
6. Poverty And Equity: Measurement, Policy, And Estimation With Dad by Jean-Yves Duclos (2006)
"quantile function for net incomes conditional on a p- ... 127, 188, 212 X(p): p-quantile of gross income, 147, 188 Xj\ observation j of X, 144 . ..."
7. SAS/IML 9.1 by SAS Institute (2004)
"... or a quantile from various distributions for multiple comparisons of means ... from ai distribution SDF computes a survival function quantile Functions ..."