¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Racemize
1. to convert into a racemic compound [v -MIZED, -MIZING, -MIZES]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Racemize Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Racemize
Literary usage of Racemize
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the American Chemical Society by American Chemical Society (1912)
"As proof that the continued boiling did not racemize the mandelic acid, i gram was dissolved in hydrochloric acid (D 1.118) and made up to 50 cc. ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"Of the amino acids that could be measured, a-alanine and glutamic acid appear to racemize most quickly during mild alkaline treatment (8) and, therefore, ..."
3. Physiological chemistry: A Text-book and Manual for Students by Albert Prescott Mathews (1916)
"Now since the acids having free carboxyl groups do not racemize, the fact that most of them are racemized by alkali treatment of the proteins shows that the ..."
4. Recent Advances in Organic Chemistry by Alfred Walter Stewart (1911)
"Now, when we attempt to racemize dextro-camphoric acid by any of the usual methods, it ia found that instead of producing an equimolecular mixture of ..."
5. The Chemistry of the Non-benzenoid Hydrocarbons and Their Simple Derivativesby Benjamin Talbott Brooks by Benjamin Talbott Brooks (1922)
"That heat tends to racemize optically active hydrocarbons is well known but in most cases distillation at atmospheric pressure, of the terpenes, ..."
6. A Dictionary of Chemical Terms by James Fitton Couch (1920)
"Heating is the usual method of effecting the conversion. Some substances racemize spontaneously at ordinary temperatures ..."