Definition of Rack up
1. Verb. Gain points in a game. "He hit .300 in the past season"
Entails: Compete, Contend, Vie
Specialized synonyms: Par, Shoot, Convert, Convert, Convert, Homer, Kick, Eagle, Hole Up, Ace, Walk, Equalise, Equalize, Get Even, Get, Have, Make
Generic synonyms: Advance, Gain, Gain Ground, Get Ahead, Make Headway, Pull Ahead, Win
Derivative terms: Hit, Score, Score, Scorer, Tally
2. Verb. Place in a rack. "Rack pool balls"
3. Verb. Defeat thoroughly. "The fighter managed to rack up his opponent"; "He mopped up the floor with his opponents"
Generic synonyms: Beat, Beat Out, Crush, Shell, Trounce, Vanquish
Derivative terms: Whipping
4. Verb. Supply a rack with feed for (horses or other animals).
Definition of Rack up
1. Verb. (snooker billiards cue sports) to arrange in a rack ¹
2. Verb. (idiomatic) to gain (points etc.; in a game or sport) ¹
3. Verb. (idiomatic) to acquire, to gather together. ¹
4. Verb. (idiomatic) to defeat severely, to thrash ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Rack Up Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rack Up Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rack Up
Literary usage of Rack up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications by English Dialect Society (1886)
"rack up, v. to choke up, as a drain becomes choked with sediment. It is used actively, as " I doubt this drain 'l1 soon rack up;" and we also speak of a ..."
2. A Glossary of Words Used in the County of Chester by Robert Holland (1886)
"rack up, v. to choke up, as a drain becomes choked sediment. It is used actively, as " I doubt this drain '11 soon rack up;" and we speak of a drain being ..."
3. The Annual Register, Or, A View of the History, Politics, and Literature for by Edmund Burke, Benjamin Franklin Collection (Library of Congress), John Davis Batchelder Collection (Library of Congress) (1834)
"He told me to ask the boy whether he would do it as be went to rack up. I refused times. ... He told me to go with the boy to rack up, and ask him to do it. ..."
4. English Mechanic and World of Science: With which are Incorporated "the (1893)
"... and in the brightness should show a alight tinge of reddish-greenish colour, the red prominent when you rack up, and the green when yuu rack down. ..."
5. The Microscope: Its History, Construction, and Application, Being a Familiar by Jabez Hogg (1869)
"11 aperture in the field, rack up the condenser until the field ia very bright, then put on No. 1 stop, and rack up the condenser until the stop disappears: ..."
6. International Shipping & Shipbuilding Directory by Shipping world & shipbuilder (1890)
"... any ballast wharf to any tier or berth in or below the rack, up to 240 tons 4d ... or below the rack, up or down Jd (no less charge than 7/6 per vessel) ..."
7. Modern Microscopy: A Handbook for Beginners and Students by M. I. Cross, Martin J. Cole (1922)
"... adjusting lateral centring screw if necessary, rack up body tube, and rotate objective i* inch into position; apply oil to object, and rack down, ..."
8. The Microscope: Being a Familiar Introduction to the Use of the Instrument by Jabez Hogg (1869)
"11 aperture in the field, rack up the condenser until the field is very bright, then put on No. 1 stop, and rack up the condenser until the stop disappears: ..."