Definition of Raines
1. Noun. (historical) A type of fine linen once imported from France. ¹
2. Noun. (surname) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Raines
1. raine [n] - See also: raine
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Raines Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Raines
Literary usage of Raines
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept, Southern Pacific Company (1912)
"Mrs. raines shook her head. Kewanee came soundlessly up the ladder, and the subject was dropped so far as the young surveyor was concerned. ..."
2. The Social Evil: With Special Reference to Conditions Existing in the City by New York Committee of Fifteen, 1900, Edwin R. A. Seligman (1902)
"Yet it can hardly be denied that there are forces at work which tend to make the decent raines Law hotel the exception rather than the rule. ..."
3. Journal by New York (State). Legislature. Senate (1907)
"Mr. raines presented the following communication, which upon motion of Mr. raines, and by unanimous consent, was ordered spread upon the journal, viz. ..."
4. Remains, Historical and Literary, Connected with the Palatine Counties of by Chetham Society (1903)
"FR raines. Edited by JE BAILEY. 2 parts. Vol.. The Old Church and School Libraries of ... By the late FR raines. Edited by FRANK RENAUD. 2 parts. Vol 25. ..."
5. A Tarpaulin Muster by John Masefield (1907)
"XXII A raines LAW ARREST WHEN I was working in a New York saloon I saw something of the city police. I was there shortly after the Lexow Commission, ..."
6. Pugilistica: The History of British Boxing Containing Lives of the Most by Henry Downes Miles (1906)
"Jones also well knew that great danger was to be apprehended by the countering of raines, and therefore he was extremely caution«, and thus are we enabled ..."
7. Remains, Historical and Literary, Connected with the Palatine Counties of by Chetham Society (1905)
"Canon raines. Edited by SIR HENRY H. HOWORTH. 2 parts. Vol. 3. ... By the late FR raines. Edited by FRANK RENAUD. 2 parts. Vol 25. The History of the Parish ..."