Definition of Republic of liberia
1. Noun. A republic in West Africa; established in 1822 by Americans as a way to free negro slaves.
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Capital Of Liberia, Liberian Capital, Monrovia
Group relationships: Africa
Member holonyms: Liberian
Derivative terms: Liberian
Republic Of Liberia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Republic Of Liberia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Republic Of Liberia
Literary usage of Republic of liberia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The African Repository by American Colonization Society (1872)
"One remarkable feature in the history of the Republic of Liberia has been the incorporation of many thousands of Con- gos, ..."
2. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1910)
"The interest of the United States in the Republic of Liberia as evidenced by successive state papers. [Extracts.] (Despatch of June 16, 1869, of Mr. Fish, ..."
3. The Christian Examiner (1848)
"republic of liberia.' IT is not our purpose to consider at any length the past action of the Colonization Society, or the motives with which it has been ..."
4. Appletons' Annual Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events (1876)
"The eldest of these sons was Joseph, who was elected the first President of the Republic of Liberia, and who is now again elected to the same office. ..."
5. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1883)
"The approximate areas of the territories which have been acquired by treaty by the Republic of Liberia, are shown by dotted lines, together with the date ..."