2. Proper noun. (surnames male given name) transferred from the surname. ¹
3. Noun. (slang) : A gun. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Roscoe
1. a pistol [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Roscoe Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Roscoe
Literary usage of Roscoe
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Dictionary of National Biography by Sidney Lee (1909)
"There are numerous portraits of roscoe : WILLIAM STANLEY roscoe (1782-1843), the eldest son of William roscoe, was educated at Peterhouse, Cambridge, ..."
2. The Library of Literary Criticism of English and American Authors by Charles Wells Moulton (1905)
"Mrs. roscoe seems to adore her husband, and to be so fond of her children, ... I desired to see nobody but Mr. roscoe, and with him I had the pleasure of ..."
3. The Monthly Review by Charles William Wason (1833)
"By his son, HENRY roscoe. In2 vols. 8vo. with a portrait. London: Cadell. 1833. Mr. roscoe was of humble origin, and though destined, in consequence of the ..."
4. The Christian Examiner (1834)
"The, Life of William roscoe, by his Son HENRY roscoe. In Two Volumes. London. ... On several accounts Mr. roscoe seemed to be nearer to us than any of those ..."
5. Journal by English Place-Name Society (1913)
"He was styled the roscoe of Cork by the famous Father Prout, through his having been formerly a banker, as was the original roscoe, a Liverpool Banker alike ..."
6. The Select Journal of Foreign Periodical Literature by Andrews Norton, Charles Folsom (1834)
"The biography of Mr. roscoe is peculiarly rich, from various causes, ... Mr. Henry roscoe has likewise performed his task with great modesty, taste, ..."
7. The Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by Isaac Smith Homans, William B. Dana (1840)
"The life of roscoe is peculiarly interesting in this country, as it furnishes the example ... William roscoe was born about the middle of the last century, ..."
8. The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries by John Austin Stevens, Benjamin Franklin DeCosta, Martha Joanna Lamb, Henry Phelps Johnston, Nathan Gilbert Pond, William Abbatt (1888)
"Portrait of roscoe Conkling. Frontispiece. PACK roscoe Conkling. ... The Home of roscoe Conkling in Utica—The Grounds of the Conkling Mansion at Utica—The ..."