Definition of Royal charter
1. Noun. A charter granted by the sovereign (especially in Great Britain).
Specialized synonyms: Magna Carta, Magna Charta, The Great Charter
Geographical relationships: Britain, Great Britain, U.k., Uk, United Kingdom, United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland
Royal Charter Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Royal Charter Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Royal Charter
Literary usage of Royal charter
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Colonies in the Seventeenth Century by Herbert Levi Osgood (1904)
"The result of the impulse which they gave was the procuring of a royal charter in March, 1629, confirming the grant of territory already made and adding ..."
2. The American Colonies in the Seventeenth Century by Herbert Levi Osgood (1904)
"By royal charter they, like Baltimore, received the patronage of all ... In the latter they declared, almost in the words of the royal charter itself, ..."
3. History of England from the Accession of James I. to the Outbreak of the by Samuel Rawson Gardiner (1895)
"By the royal charter The Royal which was extorted from the falling monarch, com- Bohemia. plete liberty of conscience was accorded to every Bohemian, ..."
4. Proceedings by Royal Colonial Institute (Great Britain) (1897)
"... PRINCE OF WALES, KG, WILLIAM DROGO MONTAGU, DUKE OF MANCHESTER, KP, and the other Fellows of the said Society, Our royal charter of Incorporation. ..."
5. London, Past and Present: Its History, Associations, and Traditions by Henry Benjamin Wheatley, Peter Cunningham (1891)
"Institution of Civil Engineers, 25 GREAT GEORGE STREET, WESTMINSTER, founded 1818 ; incorporated by royal charter, June 3, 1828. The Institution consists of ..."
6. English Colonies in America by John Andrew Doyle (1889)
"In March, 1629, a royal charter was obtained, constituting a legal corporation, under the title of the Governor and Company of the .Massachusetts Bay in New ..."
7. The History of the United States of America by Richard Hildreth (1880)
"The company, thus re- enforced, and sustained by money and influential friends, easily obtained a royal Charter confirming their grant, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Royal charter