Definition of Rubiaceous plant
1. Noun. Any of numerous trees or shrubs or vines of the family Rubiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Angiosperm, Flowering Plant
Group relationships: Family Rubiaceae, Madder Family, Rubiaceae
Specialized synonyms: Indian Madder, Munjeet, Rubia Cordifolia, Madder, Rubia Tinctorum
Rubiaceous Plant Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rubiaceous Plant Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rubiaceous Plant
Literary usage of Rubiaceous plant
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species by Charles Darwin (1897)
"... rubiaceous plant becoming dioecious. Moreover, in an allied plant, Galium cruciatum, the female organs have been suppressed in most of the lower flowers ..."
2. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1899)
"The cakes are light and porous, of different shades of color, the inferior qualities being greenish or grayish. The rubiaceous plant ..."
3. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1904)
"Its succulent tubers are often chewed by the natives to allay thirst. I also found the pretty little creeping rubiaceous plant ..."
4. Philosophical Magazine (1805)
"When I was in Madagascar, in 1795, I saw without astonishment the natives of the country extract, from the root of a rubiaceous plant, ..."
5. Popular Science Monthly (1912)
"... a species common to the Antilles also, and very common in Jamaica. A very showy shrub of this region is a rubiaceous plant, ..."