Definition of Running head
1. Noun. A heading printed at the top of every page (or every other page) of a book.
Generic synonyms: Head, Header, Heading
Specialized synonyms: Running Title
Group relationships: Book
Running Head Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Running Head Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Running Head
Literary usage of Running head
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library Journal by American Library Association, Library Association (1896)
"running head-lines : The running head-lines at the tops of pages are often badly chosen, their selection being left by the author to the printers, ..."
2. Financial Advertising: For Commercial and Savings Banks, Trust, Title by Elias St. Elmo Lewis (1908)
"The running head properly belongs only on the pages which have text matter continued from a preceding page. The first page of a chapter that is sunk and has ..."
3. A Catalogue of Manuscripts Forming a Portion of the Library of Robert Hoe by Robert Hoe, Carolyn Shipman (1909)
"The chapter numbers and running head-lines are in blue and red, and on the wide margins are variants in small gothic letters. ..."
4. The Mechanical Handling of Material: Being a Treatise on the Handling of by George Frederick Zimmer (1905)
"If the position of the running head is changed by the drum rJ the load remains at the same distance from the ground. A represents the drum for raising and ..."
5. The Mechanical Handling and Storing of Material: Being a Treatise on the by George Frederick Zimmer (1922)
"If the position of the running head is changed by the drum B, the load remains at the same distance from the ground. A represents the drum for raising and ..."
6. Appletons' Cyclopædia of Applied Mechanics: A Dictionary of Mechanical by Appleton, firm, publishers, New York (1880)
"To maintain the tail-stock, or back head of the lathe, as it is sometimes called, in true line with the head-stock or running head of the lathe, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Running head