Definition of Rwanda
1. Noun. A landlocked republic in central Africa; formerly a German colony.
Geographical relationships: Alir, Army For The Liberation Of Rwanda, Far, Former Armed Forces, Interahamwe
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Group relationships: East Africa, Africa
Terms within: Capital Of Rwanda, Kigali, Kivu, Lake Kivu
Member holonyms: Hutu, Tutsi, Watusi, Watutsi, Rwandan
Definition of Rwanda
1. Proper noun. A country in Eastern Africa. ¹
2. Proper noun. A Bantu language of Rwanda; also known as Kinyarwanda. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Rwanda
1. A republic in eastern africa, south of uganda and east of democratic republic of the congo. It was originally called ruanda. Its capital is kigali. Formerly part of the belgian trust territory of ruanda-urundi (now rwanda and burundi), it became independent in 1962. The country has taken the name of the people, the rwanda, but its meaning is unknown. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rwanda Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rwanda
Literary usage of Rwanda
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Responsibility to Protect: Research, Bibliography, Background ...by Thomas G. Weiss, Don Hubert, Gareth J. Evans, Mohamed Sahnoun by Thomas G. Weiss, Don Hubert, Gareth J. Evans, Mohamed Sahnoun (2001)
" This volume represents a comprehensive, balanced and up-to-date summary of the key political, ethical, legal, andoperational issues and will be of particular..."
2. Preventing Deadly Conflict edited by David A. Hamburg, Cyrus R. Vance (1998)
"For the international community, the chief legacy of rwanda is the knowledge that mass violence rarely happens without warning and that the absence of ..."
3. Zaire: Predicament and Prospectsby Jean-Claude Willame, Hugues Leclercq, Peter Rosenblum, Catharine Newbury by Jean-Claude Willame, Hugues Leclercq, Peter Rosenblum, Catharine Newbury (1998)
"A number of studies have pointed out that many of the refugees want very much to return to rwanda but are afraid to do so.2 Hutu refugees fear that if they ..."
4. Shattered Lives: Sexual Violence During the Rwandan Genocide and Its Aftermath by Human Rights Watch/Africa (1996)
"For those victims and witnesses who are outside of rwanda, the Tribunal must ... To the United Nations Human Rights Field Operation in rwanda • The United ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"rwanda denies any use. From 1995 to February 2000, 16983 mines and UXO were ... Mine Ban Policy rwanda signed the Mine Ban Treaty on 3 December 1997 and ..."
6. Food from Peace: Breaking the Links Between Conflict and Hunger by Ellen Messer, Marc J. Cohen, Jashinta D'Costa (1998)
"rwanda achieved independence in 1962, and around that time many Tutsi fled the ... In 1990, rwanda was classified by development experts as resource poor, ..."