Definition of Saipan
1. Noun. The largest island in the Northern Marianas and the administrative center of the commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands in union with the United States.
2. Noun. US forces captured the island from the Japanese in July 1944; it was an important air base until the end of World War II.
Group relationships: Second World War, World War 2, World War Ii
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Saipan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Saipan
Literary usage of Saipan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Catalogue of Scientific Literature by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1905)
"8026 Seidel, H. saipan, die Hauptinsel der deutschen Marianen. Globus, Braunschweig, 86, 1904, (278-282). [01 ne]. ..."
2. The Mother of All Webs Who Gotcha! by Gyeorgos Ceres Hatonn (1992)
"And for its many Southeast Asia adventures, the Special Operations Division had “a home away from home” under Navy cover on the Pacific island of saipan. ..."
3. Across the Reef: The Amphibious Tracked Vehicle at War by Victor J. Croizat (2001)
"The Americans on saipan could now rest and prepare for the move against Tinian which would begin ten days later. By that time, other Marines would have ..."