Definition of Sarcochilus
1. Noun. Diminutive epiphytic or lithophytic orchids with clumped short-stemmed foliage and arching racemes of colorful flowers; Australia and Polynesia to southeastern Asia.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Orange-blossom Orchid, Sarcochilus Falcatus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sarcochilus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sarcochilus
Literary usage of Sarcochilus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1915)
"sarcochilus R. Br. Of the nine species known to be natives of the Philippines, six are endemic. By some authors sarcochilus and ..."
2. The Genera and Species of Orchideous Plants by John Lindley (1830)
"... while all the parts are destitute of spots except the middle lobe of the labellum. LXXIX. sarcochilus. sarcochilus. Л Brown, Prodr. 332. ..."
3. Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants by Sir Joseph Paxton (1837)
"Falcate-leaved sarcochilus. An extremely pretty neat little plant, native of New Holland, and near Hunter's River. Its flowers, which it produces freely, ..."
4. The Floral Cabinet and Magazine of Exotic Botany by George Beauchamp Knowles, Frederic Westcott (1838)
"Small-flowered sarcochilus. lint. Reg. NS p. 3+. This species is of no beauty. The flowers are green with a few spots of dull purple in the sepals. ..."
5. The Phytologist: A Popular Botanical Miscellany edited by George Luxford, Edward Newman (1844)
"One of the latter, sarcochilus falcatus, with blossoms nearly as white as snowdrops, ... The other species of Dendrobium, with the genera sarcochilus and ..."