Definition of Scalp lock
1. Noun. A long tuft of hair left on top of the shaven head.
Scalp Lock Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Scalp Lock Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Scalp Lock
Literary usage of Scalp lock
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Belden, the White Chief: Or, Twelve Years Among the Wild Indians of the Plains by George Pfauts Belden (1875)
"V\7"HEN the Indians first began to scalp people, or where * * they got the idea of cutting off the scalp-lock, it is impossible to tell, but it has been ..."
2. The Indian Sign Language: With Brief Explanatory Notes of the Gestures by William Philo Clark (1884)
"The scalp-lock seems meant to be a mark of manhood and defiance, a sort of "take it if you dare and can" idea. It is marked out and braided when a boy ..."
3. Our Wild Indians: Thirty-three Years Personal Experience Among the Red Men by Richard Irving Dodge (1884)
"In scalping an Indian who wears no scalp-lock, a handful of hair is grasped on any part of the head and the knife passed beneath. ..."
4. Breaking the Wilderness: The Story of the Conquest of the Far West, from the by Frederick Samuel Dellenbaugh (1905)
"... and Totem Marks —Dress—An Aboriginal Geographer—The Winter Life—The War-path, the Scalp-lock, and the Scalp-dance—Mourning the Lost Braves—Drifting. ..."
5. The American Indian (Uh-nish-in-na-ba) by Elijah Middlebrook Haines (1888)
"... Boys as Hunters—Making Presents—Shaving the Head—scalp lock—Cultivation of the Hair—Native Ingenuity—Treatment of Prisoners—Burning at the Stake. ..."
6. The People of the Plains by Amelia M. Paget (1909)
"Naturally an Indian considered it a grave misfortune to lose his scalp, but it was a greater disgrace not to have the scalp-lock ready from the day he was ..."
7. Publication by Field Columbian Museum (1903)
"Thrust in the scalp-lock and standing above the head was a yellow-stained breath-feather. THE YELLOWHAMMER PAINT. This interesting paint, on account of its ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Scalp lock