Definition of Scirpus
1. Noun. Rhizomatous perennial grasslike herbs.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Cyperaceae, Family Cyperaceae, Sedge Family
Member holonyms: Hardstem Bulrush, Hardstemmed Bulrush, Scirpus Acutus, Scirpus Cyperinus, Wool Grass
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Scirpus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Scirpus
Literary usage of Scirpus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1894)
"scirpus lenticular is Torr. Ann. Lye. NY 3 : 328 (1836). scirpus ... scirpus polyphyllus Vahl, Enum. 2: 274 (1806). scirpus exaltatus Pursh, Fl. Am. Sept. ..."
2. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel, Isaac Bayley Balfour (1905)
"scirpus lacustris. A further example of this second case amongst the Cyperaceae is furnished by scirpus lacustris (Fig. 277). In general, we may say that ..."
3. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1908)
"J. Franklin Collins the writer discovered scirpus hudsonianus (Michx. ... [scirpus hudsonianus occurs at a number of stations besides Willington in Tolland ..."
4. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1919)
"scirpus americanus Pers. Near the mouth of Pike brook, South Bay; Waterford; ... scirpus validus Vahl. Streams and ponds in shallow water; common. ..."
5. Glimpses of the Cosmos by Lester Frank Ward (1913)
"scirpus maritimus, L. Common on the coast and near salt springs in the interior ... scirpus Smithii. Wet shores, Lake Ontario to Illinois and Delaware Bay. ..."