Definition of Sebaceous cyst
1. Noun. A common cyst of the skin; filled with fatty matter (sebum) that is secreted by a sebaceous gland that has been blocked.
Specialized synonyms: Chalazion, Meibomian Cyst
Generic synonyms: Cyst
Medical Definition of Sebaceous cyst
1. A closed sac (sebaceous gland) within the tissue containing oily or fatty semi-solid material. These cysts are found most commonly on the genitalia, vulva or labia. Features include a nontender, small lump in the skin. Sebaceous cysts which turn red or tender may require treatment with oral antibiotics. Warm wet compresses may help the cyst expel some of its contents. Surgical excision of the cyst may be necessary to prevent recurrence. (27 Sep 1997)
Sebaceous Cyst Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sebaceous Cyst Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sebaceous Cyst
Literary usage of Sebaceous cyst
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Surgical Clinics of North America by Stanley P. L. Leong (1922)
"EPITHELIOMA AND sebaceous cyst OF THE SCALP SIDE BY SIDE THIS woman, about sixty-five years of age, sent up from the dispensary, shows the rather ..."
2. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1879)
"Here again we meet with a true sebaceous cyst developed in the ... sebaceous cyst of tlie Liil, ..."
3. A Practical treatise on diseases of the skin by John Vietch Shoemaker (1901)
"They may also be removed by electrolysis. sebaceous cyst. ... —Sebaceous tumor—Follicular tumor—Encysted tumor—Wen, sebaceous cyst is a prominent, roundish, ..."
4. A Compend of the practice of medicine by Daniel E. Hughes, Samuel Horton Brown (1904)
"sebaceous cyst. Synonyms.—Wen; sebaceous tumor; encysted tumor. Definition.—A distention of the sebaceous gland and duct, with hypertrophy of the walls, ..."