Definition of Select committee
1. Noun. A parliamentary committee appointed for some special purpose.
Geographical relationships: Britain, Great Britain, U.k., Uk, United Kingdom, United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland
Select Committee Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Select Committee Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Select Committee
Literary usage of Select committee
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1912)
"Rept. of select committee on weights and measures, to which was referred ... April 10, Hept. of select committee, upon bill for protection of birds and ..."
2. Journal by New York (State). Legislature. Senate (1848)
"10 in the town of Chatham," be referred to a select committee consisting of ... Mr. Cole, from the select committee, reported complete the bill from the ..."
3. The Parliamentary Debates by Great Britain Parliament (1905)
"Leave given to the select committee to continue sitting in the absence of the Lord Monk Bretton. Whitby Urban District Council Bill [HL]. ..."
4. The Monthly Review by Charles William Wason (1832)
"The latitude to which the members of a select committee are empowered to push their ... But a parliamentary select committee appears to enjoy a complete ..."
5. The Quarterly Review by William Gifford, John Taylor Coleridge, John Gibson Lockhart, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, William Smith, John Murray, George Walter Prothero, Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle (1851)
"Second Report from the select committee on Ceylon and British. Guiana : ordered by the House of Commons to be printed 27th July, 1849. ..."
6. The Village Labourer, 1760-1832: A Study in the Government of England Before by John Lawrence Hammond, Barbara Bradby Hammond (1913)
"Parliamentary Papers for period; specially— FOR ENCLOSURES— Report from Select Committee on Standing Orders relating to Private Bills, 1775. ..."
7. Journal by New York (State). Legislature. Senate (1850)
"Mr. Cook from the select committee, to which was referred the, bill from the Assembly entitled, "An act to amend an act entitled, <An act to incorporate the ..."