Definition of Selenipedium
1. Noun. Genus of tall reedlike tropical American orchids; includes species with pods used locally as a substitute for vanilla.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Selenipedium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Selenipedium
Literary usage of Selenipedium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1917)
"selenipedium. For the species included in this genus in "Cyclopedia of American Horticulture," see ..."
2. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1902)
"As in many orchid genera, the species of selenipedium are remarkable for the ... A part of the genera Cypripedium and selenipedium has been separated by ..."
3. Gardeners Chronicle, the Horticultural Trade Journal (1897)
"]t lies buried with the rest of his Orchids for twenty-five yea», along with other uniques which had been entrusted to him. selenipedium ..."
4. List of Published Names of Plants Introduced to Cultivation: 1876 to 1896 by Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (1900)
"selenipedium Helenas. (ö. and F. 1891, lili.) S. A garden hybrid between 6'. ... selenipedium reticulatum. (zit 10.) S. A remarkable species with whitish П. ..."
5. The Amateur Orchid Cultivators' Guide Book by H. A. Burberry (1900)
"Plants of this variety should be purchased at from 5s. to 7s. 6d. per strong flowering leading growth. selenipedium (CYPRIPEDIUM) ..."