Definition of Sentry duty
1. Noun. The duty of serving as a sentry. "He was on guard that night"
Generic synonyms: Assignment, Duty Assignment
Derivative terms: Guard
Sentry Duty Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sentry Duty Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sentry Duty
Literary usage of Sentry duty
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Letters and Diary of Alan Seeger by Alan Seeger (1917)
"n DECEMBER 8, 1914 sentry duty. The r61e of the common soldier. ... There is something fascinating if one is stationed on sentry duty immediately after ..."
2. Letters and Diary of Alan Seeger by Alan Seeger (1917)
"There is something fascinating if one is stationed on sentry duty immediately after arrival in watching the dawn slowly illumine one of these ..."
3. Exploration of the Great Lakes 1669-1670 by René Brehan de Galinée, François Dollier de Casson, James H Coyne (1900)
"On this account we performed sentry duty every2 night, and constantly kept all our weapons in good condition. However, I can assure you, that for a person ..."
4. A French-English Military Technical Dictionary by Cornélis De Witt Willcox (1899)
"standing sentry, sentry duty, sentry go; ... cu . to be on sentry duty: mettre en , to post a sentry: sentry go; monter la , to go on sentry or post, ..."