Definition of Short-grass
1. Noun. Any of various grasses that are short and can tolerate drought conditions; common on the dry upland plains just east of the Rocky Mountains.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Short-grass Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Short-grass
Literary usage of Short-grass
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Plant Industry, Division of Plant Industry, Queensland (1911)
"When wire-grass vegetation becomes established upon short-grass and that has been broken the plants of this association are likely o dominate for a number ..."
2. Plant Indicators: The Relation of Plant Communities to Process and Practice by Frederic Edward Clements (1920)
""The presence of deeper-rooted plants mingled with the short-grass vegetation indicates better conditions for crop production than ..."
3. Year Book by Carnegie Institution of Washington (1921)
"A particular search has been made for tall-grasses in supposedly short-grass regions during this spring. The results seem to leave no doubt that there is no ..."
4. Kansas by Frank Wilson Blackmar (1912)
"The short grass section therefore embraces portions of Harper, King- man, ... SHORT GRASS COUNTRY. Edwards, Pawnee, Rush, Ellis, Rooks, Phillips, Norton, ..."
5. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1919)
"As frequently described (1, 2, 8, 9) the short grass of the plains is a ... Within the clumps of short grass there are very few subordinate plants, ..."
6. Dictionary of Geology and Mineralogy: Comprising Such Terms in Botany by William Humble (1843)
"Soft ; cottony ; nappy ; covered with soft hairs. 3. A considerable tract of elevated land, generally covered with short grass. ..."
7. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1905)
"This species was found only in short grass on the hilltops, ... This handsome locust is found only on the upland prairies in tall and short grass. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Short-grass