Definition of Slow down
1. Verb. Lose velocity; move more slowly. "The car decelerated"
Generic synonyms: Decrease, Diminish, Fall, Lessen
Specialized synonyms: Slow, Slow Up, Delay, Detain, Hold Up
Derivative terms: Deceleration, Retardation, Retardation, Slowing, Slowdown
2. Verb. Become slow or slower. "Production slowed"
Generic synonyms: Weaken
Derivative terms: Slack, Slowing, Slowdown
3. Verb. Cause to proceed more slowly. "The illness slowed him down"
Specialized synonyms: Bog, Bog Down, Clog, Constipate
Generic synonyms: Decelerate, Retard, Slow, Slow Up
Derivative terms: Slowdown
4. Verb. Reduce the speed of. "He slowed down the car"
Generic synonyms: Alter, Change, Modify
Specialized synonyms: Moderate, Retard, Fishtail
Derivative terms: Deceleration, Slowdown
5. Verb. Become less tense, rest, or take one's ease. "Sam and Sue slow down"; "Let's all relax after a hard day's work"
Specialized synonyms: Vege Out, Vegetate, Sit Back, Take It Easy
Generic synonyms: Change State, Turn
Derivative terms: Relaxant, Relaxation, Relaxation
Definition of Slow down
1. Verb. (idiomatic) decelerate ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Slow Down Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Slow Down Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Slow Down
Literary usage of Slow down
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1905)
"... that the switch was set to the main track, and was under no obligation to slow down, I cannot see any evidence of want of ordinary care on his part. ..."
2. Icelandby Cathy Harlow by Cathy Harlow (2004)
"Driving on gravel roads - slow down when you meet another vehicle to ... slow down and keep to the right. • Bridge - slow down for single track bridges. ..."
3. Are We Capable of Self-government?: National Problems and Policies Affecting by Frank Wright Noxon (1917)
"... Chapter IV A BUSINESS SLOW-DOWN NATION-WIDE AN ERA OF ALTRUISM THE struggle in New England was only a provincial phase of a larger condition. ..."
4. Massachusetts Reports: Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Judicial by Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (1911)
"It did not slow down so perceptibly that I noticed that the elevator was not acting as it was accustomed to act. It did not go slow enough to do that. ..."
5. Worst Boys in Town: And Other Addresses to Young Men and Women, Boys and Girls by James Langdon Hill (1920)
"... CHAPTER XV "PLEASE slow down" * According to the pace of the children. Gen. 33:14. Rev. Version. Coming down the gang plank as he is landing from the ..."
6. Worst Boys in Town: And Other Addresses to Young Men and Women, Boys and Girls by James Langdon Hill (1920)
"... CHAPTER XV "PLEASE slow down" According to the pace of the children. Gen. 33:14. Rev. Version. ..."