Definition of Small-arm
1. Noun. A portable gun. "He wore his firearm in a shoulder holster"
Specialized synonyms: Autoloader, Self-loader, Muzzle Loader, Handgun, Pistol, Shooting Iron, Side Arm, Repeater, Repeating Firearm, Rifle, Riot Gun, Scattergun, Shotgun, Smoothbore, .22, Twenty-two
Terms within: Firing Pin, Lock, Sights
Generic synonyms: Gun
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Small-arm Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Small-arm
Literary usage of Small-arm
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Parliamentary Debates by Great Britain Parliament (1906)
"Small Arm Ammunition. SIR FREDERICK BANBURY (City of London) : I beg to ask the ... The whole question of replacing existing stocks of small arm ammunition ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The small arm-sinus runs along the arms of the lophophore at the base of the tentacles, and gives off a bund diverticulum into each of these. ..."
3. Appletons' Annual Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events (1890)
"The new German repetition small-arm of 1889 is practically identical with the ... The future small-arm of the German army will be one of gradual growth, ..."
4. Journal by Indiana General Assembly. Senate, Indiana, General Assembly (1915)
"Any person who may desire to purchase or otherwise obtain a pistol, revolver or other small arm to be used exclusively on the farm, or in the residence or ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Small-arm