Definition of Snake-head
1. Noun. Showy perennial of marshlands of eastern and central North America having waxy lanceolate leaves and flower with lower part creamy white and upper parts pale pink to deep purple.
Group relationships: Chelone, Genus Chelone
Generic synonyms: Bog Plant, Marsh Plant, Swamp Plant
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Snake-head Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Snake-head
Literary usage of Snake-head
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report (1905)
"Yellow-bellied or Leather Snake. Head small, tapering anteriorly; ... Prairie Water Snake. Head elongated, flattened above; dorsal scales in 19, ..."
2. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1903)
"Water Snake. Head rather narrow, pointed in front; upper labials usually 8, the sixth and ... Striped Water Snake. Head small, little distinct from body, ..."
3. A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous Or Parallel Expressions by Richard Soule, George Holmes Howison (1891)
"Snail-shell, я. Helix. 2* Drone, idler, sluggard, laggard, slug. Snake-bird, ». Darter. snake-head, I n. Shell-flower, turtle-head, bal- Snake's-head, ..."
4. Statements, Theological and Critical by Daniel Denison Whedon, J. S. Whedon (1887)
"to keep the snake-head repressed ; and it was that repression, ... The unremoved snake-head is evidenced by the energy still required to keep it in ..."
5. The Reptile Book: A Comprehensive, Popularised Work on the Structure and by Raymond Lee Ditmars (1907)
"In their persistent efforts to drive the intruder away, they are frequently bold enough in their advances to peck at the snake's head, when they are seized ..."