Definition of Social control
1. Noun. Control exerted (actively or passively) by group action.
Specialized synonyms: Auto Limitation, Sanction, Population Control, Administration, Governance, Governing, Government, Government Activity, Enforcement, Domination, Acculturation, Enculturation, Socialisation, Socialization, Duty, Obligation, Responsibility, Military Control, Occupation, Direction, Management, Deprivation, Privation, Appeasement, Calming, Communisation, Communization, Nationalisation, Nationalization, Denationalisation, Denationalization, Privatisation, Privatization, Detribalisation, Detribalization, Discrimination, Favoritism, Favouritism, Patronage, Militarisation, Militarization, Mobilisation, Mobilization, Demobilisation, Demobilization, Normalisation, Normalization, Standardisation, Standardization, Penalisation, Penalization, Penalty, Punishment, Corrections
Definition of Social control
1. Noun. Any control, either formal or informal, that is exerted by a group, especially by one's peers ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Social control
1. The influence on the behaviour of a person exerted by other persons or by society as a whole; e.g., through appropriate social norms, ostracism, or the criminal law. (05 Mar 2000)
Social Control Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Social Control Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Social Control
Literary usage of Social control
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"In other words, modern democracy is that form of social control in which the opinion and will of every adult member of the group enters into the ..."
2. Publication of the American Sociological Society by American Sociological Association (1918)
"THE social control OF THE ACQUISITION OF WEALTH EDWARD GARY HAYES ... The early attempts at social control of economic processes were like playing with ..."
3. Readings in Industrial Society: A Study in the Structure and Functioning of by Leon Carroll Marshall (1918)
"social control is intimately related to every outstanding feature of our ... The aims of this chapter are to give us an awareness that social control is ..."
4. Woman's Share in Social Culture by Anna Garlin Spencer (1912)
"This means that we must come to an agreement about the method and extent of such social control of the present individualistic marriage as shall be just to ..."
5. Papers and Proceedings of the Annual Meeting by American Economic Association (1918)
"THE social control OF THE ACQUISITION OF WEALTH BY EDWARD CARY HAYES The University of Illinois A generation ago the upshot and conclusion of both economics ..."
6. Social Adaptation: A Study in the Development of the Doctrine of Adaptation by Lucius Moody Bristol (1915)
"N ED WARD ALSWORTH Ross (1866- ) The Psychology of social control 'rofessor Ross has made contributions to our subject primarily along two lines: first, ..."
7. Social Adaptation: A Study in the Development of the Doctrine of Adaptation by Lucius Moody Bristol (1915)
"EDWARD ALSWORTH Ross (1866- ) The Psychology of social control Professor Ross has made contributions to our subject primarily along two lines: first,in his ..."