Definition of Sperm cell
1. Noun. The male reproductive cell; the male gamete. "A sperm is mostly a nucleus surrounded by little other cellular material"
Terms within: Flagellum, Acrosome
Group relationships: Come, Cum, Ejaculate, Seed, Semen, Seminal Fluid, Male Reproductive System
Generic synonyms: Gamete
Derivative terms: Spermatic, Spermous
Definition of Sperm cell
1. Noun. (cytology) spermatozoon ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Sperm cell
1. Mature sperm cell (male gamete). This entry appears with permission from the Dictionary of Cell and Molecular Biology (11 Mar 2008)
Sperm Cell Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sperm Cell Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sperm Cell
Literary usage of Sperm cell
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Science from an Easy Chair by Edwin Ray Lankester (1911)
"The egg-cell after this process consists really of the substance of two equal cells—the egg-cell and the sperm- cell—completely fused so as to form a single ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1908)
"we desire to ascertain, is commonly fertilized by a sperm-cell of the same species ... The conditions are fully met in those cases where the sperm-cell of a ..."
3. The Metaphysics of the School by Thomas Harper (1884)
"Both are after a manner in the sperm-cell;—the formative virtue actually, the ultimate form ... Hence it is that, as St. Thomas declares, the sperm-cell, ..."
4. The Journal of Heredity by American Genetic Association (1917)
"But while the egg-cell can thus be made to develop into an adult, without uniting with a sperm-cell, it has in no case been possible to produce development ..."
5. Animal Life and Intelligence by Conwy Lloyd Morgan (1891)
"Egg-cell and sperm-cell, a, ovum or egg; b, spermatozoon or sperm. and female, and reproduction of this kind is said to be sexual. The wonderful thing about ..."
6. Quarterly Journal of Microscopical Scienceedited by Biologists Limited, The Company of. edited by Biologists Limited, The Company of. (1865)
"Sperm-cell from same, which has just begun to present the appearance of a ... A sperm-cell from same, elongating, the nucleus still showing as a dot, a, ..."
7. On the Anatomy of Vertebrates by Richard Owen (1866)
"406 : their bodies are contiguous and acquire the spiral form before escaping from the dilated sperm-cell. 406 The spermatozoa are developed in most ..."