Definition of Spirodela
1. Noun. Minute aquatic herbs floating on the water surface consisting of a shiny leaflike frond and 2-21 roots.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Duckweed Family, Family Lemnaceae, Lemnaceae
Member holonyms: Great Duckweed, Spirodela Polyrrhiza, Water Flaxseed
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spirodela Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spirodela
Literary usage of Spirodela
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. New Manual of Botany of the Central Rocky Mountains (vascular Plants) by John Merle Coulter (1909)
"spirodela. 1. LEMMA* L. DUCKWEED Flowers produced from a cleft in the margin of the thallus, usually three together surrounded by a spathe; ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"spirodela Schleid. Linnaea 13: 391. 1839. Two American species and S. ... The following is the type of the genus. 1. spirodela. 2. Lemna. 3. Wolffia. 4. ..."
3. A General System of Botany Descriptive and Analytical: In Two Parts by Emmanuel Le Maout, Joseph Decaisne, Joseph Dalton Hooker (1876)
"... with no vessels, or with rudimentary tracheae, transient in the pistil, sometimes apparent throughout the tissue of the plant (spirodela); lower surface ..."
4. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"1259. Duckweeds are small floating plants, without any distinct stems, a whole Natural size. A. Veins 7-11: roots several. polyrhiza, Linn. (spirodela ..."
5. Handbook of the Flora of Philadelphia and Vicinity: Containing Data Relating by Ida Augusta Keller, Stewardson Brown (1905)
"spirodela. Koot solitary. . 2. ... spirodela POLYRHIZA (L.) Schleid. M. p. 232. Ponds and pools. Summer. 2. LEMNA L. DUCK-WEED. ..."