Definition of Spongioblast
1. Noun. Any of various columnar epithelial cells in the central nervous system that develop into neuroglia.
Medical Definition of Spongioblast
1. Cell found in developing nervous system: gives rise to astrocytes and oligodendrocytes. This entry appears with permission from the Dictionary of Cell and Molecular Biology (11 Mar 2008)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spongioblast Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spongioblast
Literary usage of Spongioblast
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Human Embryology by Charles Sedgwick Minot (1892)
"In other vertebrates the conversion of the epithelial cell into a spongioblast takes place in a similar manner, as has been demonstrated by His' ..."
2. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1902)
"... for in glioma the cells seem never to have reached the embryonic stage in which epithelial and spongioblast forms have become differentiated ; the cells ..."
3. Hand-book of Physiology by William Dobinson Halliburton, William Senhouse Kirkes (1901)
"... bipolar cell destined for the rods ; E, . ganglion cells; f, spongioblast; g, efferent fibre (? trophic), originating from the cell m, in geniculate ..."
4. The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1905)
"... neuroblast. new. ep. neural epiblast. rpc retinal pigment cells. up. spongioblast. All the figures were drawn with the aid of the camera ..."