Definition of Spore sac
1. Noun. Organ containing or producing spores.
Generic synonyms: Reproductive Structure
Specialized synonyms: Macrosporangium, Megasporangium, Microsporangium, Eusporangium, Leptosporangium, Tetrasporangium
Spore Sac Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spore Sac Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spore Sac
Literary usage of Spore sac
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Text-book of Botany, Morphological and Physiological by Julius Sachs (1882)
"The Spore-sac is the term given to those layers of cells by which the large ... 268, i) also as a part of the spore-sac; its cells contain on both sides ..."
2. Minnesota Plant Diseases by Edward Monroe Freeman (1905)
"No breeding act has been seen to precede the spore-sac formation. The sac-spores are often ... Such a covering is merely an amateurish, spore-sac capsule. ..."
3. Handbook of Practical Botany: For the Botanical Laboratory and Private Student by Eduard Strasburger, William Hillhouse (1900)
"The spore-sac, so long as the lid has not been cast off, is closed above by a ... At the base of the capsule, under the spore-sac, an annular cavity has ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The numerous spores which have been developed m the spore sac can thus only .... no air-space is present between the spore-sac and the wait- In if embryo a ..."
5. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1896)
"... outer spore sac). (See Sach's Botany, p. J78.) The four types or natural divisions of mosses, based upon the development of the spores in the capsules, ..."
6. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"A, several spore-sacs (asci) in different stages of development; B, a mature spore-sac. Highly magnified. is that the spores which occur in their fruits ..."