Definition of Strigiformes
1. Noun. Owls.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Bird Of Minerva, Bird Of Night, Hooter, Owl, Family Strigidae, Strigidae, Family Tytonidae, Tytonidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Strigiformes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Strigiformes
Literary usage of Strigiformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1896)
"Pandion haliaetus, figured ; LILFORD, Col. Fig. Br. Birds, pt. xxxi. Order strigiformes. Monographia illustrata degli Uccelli di rapina in Italia, ..."
2. Annual Report by New York Zoological Society, Tennyson Society (1908)
"... Accipitriformes, strigiformes, Psittaciformes, 3 3 Swans, Geese and Ducks. 43 Cormorants and Pelicans. 9 New World Vultures 5 355 25 ii Hawks and Eagles ..."
3. Annual Report by New York Zoological Society, Tennyson Society (1906)
"5 12 Accipitriformes, Hawks and Eagles ; Old- World Vultures 12 35 strigiformes, Owls 10 28 Psittaciformes, Parrots, Macaws, ..."
4. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1920)
"... Accipitriformes and strigiformes. 1 Report of the Superintendent of the National Zoological Park for the Fiscal ..."
5. Contributions to Medical and Biological Research by William Osler (1919)
"OF all the strigiformes there is none so interesting from the standpoint of the visual apparatus as that widely distributed New World group—the Burrowing ..."