Definition of Sullivan
1. Noun. United States architect known for his steel framed skyscrapers and for coining the phrase 'form follows function' (1856-1924).
Generic synonyms: Architect, Designer
2. Noun. United States psychiatrist (1892-1949).
3. Noun. United States host on a well known television variety show (1902-1974).
Generic synonyms: Emcee, Host, Master Of Ceremonies
4. Noun. United States educator who was the teacher and lifelong companion of Helen Keller (1866-1936).
Generic synonyms: Educator, Pedagog, Pedagogue
5. Noun. English composer of operettas who collaborated with the librettist William Gilbert (1842-1900).
Generic synonyms: Composer
Definition of Sullivan
1. Proper noun. (surname from=Irish dot=) of (etyl ga) origin. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sullivan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sullivan
Literary usage of Sullivan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Boston Directory (1862)
"Wash, and Lenox sullivan John, hostler, house rear 6 Medford sullivan John, ... Purchase sullivan John, teamster, house 7 North Grove sullivan John, porter, ..."
2. Journal by Bond & Share Society, New Hampshire Dental Society, American Wine Society, Manning Valley Historical Society (1904)
"O'sullivan it was who in 1796, when the French fleet were in Bantry Bay, ... O'sullivan it was who with a band of his peasantry made a French lieutenant and ..."
3. Preventing Deadly Conflict edited by David A. Hamburg, Cyrus R. Vance (1998)
"Named after the Reverend Leon H. sullivan, then a board member of General ... Most would agree, however, that the sullivan Principles served as a powerful ..."
4. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1904)
"On a trial of sullivan for maliciously shooting White, a warrant for the arrest of sullivan, sworn out by White, la admissible eyi- dence for the state, ..."
5. Annual Report by New Hampshire Railroad Commissioners (1897)
"Shortly after he left Chestnut street he saw Mr. sullivan crossing from the ... But Mr. sullivan paid no attention and stepped between the rails just in ..."