Definition of Sunni muslim
1. Noun. A member of the branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors to Muhammad.
Group relationships: Sunni, Sunni Islam
Generic synonyms: Moslem, Muslim
Sunni Muslim Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sunni Muslim Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sunni Muslim
Literary usage of Sunni muslim
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"However, informed sources estimate that 85 percent of the population are Sunni Muslim; most of the remaining 15 percent are Shi'a. ..."
2. Syria and the Middle East Peace Process by Alasdair Drysdale, Raymond A. Hinnebusch (1991)
"According to one estimate, roughly 85 percent of all Syrians are Arabic-speaking and some 70 percent are sunni muslim, but these two categories are not ..."
3. Double Jeopardy: Police Abuse of Women in Pakistan by Asia Watch Committee (U.S.), Asia Watch Committee (U.S. (1992)
"16 There are four schools of law in sunni muslim tradition. The Hanafi school has dominated South Asia. The four schools agree on the basic matters of ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Sunni muslim