Definition of Tenement house
1. Noun. A run-down apartment house barely meeting minimal standards.
Tenement House Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tenement House Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tenement House
Literary usage of Tenement house
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1907)
"No. and sex of persons engaged in tenement house industries. (Bull. v. ... Constitutionality of tenement house act; summary of 68 Appellate Div. 370. ..."
2. The Making of America by Robert Marion La Follette, William Matthews Handy, Charles Higgins (1906)
"The result was the New York State tenement house commission of 1900, the enactment last year of the most advanced code of tenement house laws as yet put in ..."
3. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1905)
"A "tenement house" Is a building, the different rooms or parts of which are let ... St S 2573, making It the duty of any owner of any tenement house of more ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"tenement house, a multiple dwelling arranged for the occupation ... tenement house is a generic term, including what are popularly called apartment houses ..."
5. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"tenement house, a multiple dwelling arranged for the occupation of several families, ... tenement house is a generic term, including what are popularly ..."
6. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1914)
"tenement house laws. See Housing laws and Just men; concerning rum and modern ... New Jersey not to be tenement house state. Survey. 31: 654. F. 21, 44. ..."
7. Journal by New York (State). Legislature. Senate (1921)
"527) entitled "An act to amend the tenement house Law, in relation to registration of name of agent of a tenement house and the definition of vagrancy,'' ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Tenement house