Definition of Thalassocrats
1. thalassocrat [n] - See also: thalassocrat
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Thalassocrats Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Thalassocrats
Literary usage of Thalassocrats
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Quarterly Review by William Gifford, John Taylor Coleridge, John Gibson Lockhart, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, William Smith, Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle, George Walter Prothero (1905)
"At all periods the various sea-peoples go humbly to school, under the rod and subject to the exploitation of the thalassocrats, navigate like them, ..."
2. The Rise of the Greek Epic: Being a Course of Lectures Delivered at Harvard by Gilbert Murray (1907)
"Next comes the first glimpse of something that seems Hellenic : the Rhodians are thalassocrats from about 800 B. c. for the short space of twenty-three ..."
3. The Origin of Tyranny by Percy Neville Ure (1922)
"It is precisely the Carians, along with the Milesians (who on the same reckoning were thalassocrats from 725 to 707 B.с.), who are said by all our ancient ..."
4. The Book of History: A History of All Nations from the Earliest Times to the by James Bryce Bryce, Holland Thompson, William Matthew Flinders Petrie (1915)
"The Hyksos kings, ruling in the Delta, naturally came into close contact with the Minoan " thalassocrats " of Cnossos. The fact that objects bearing the ..."
5. The Rise of the Greek Epic: Being a Course of Lectures Delivered at Harvard by Gilbert Murray (1907)
"Next comes the first glimpse of something that seems Hellenic: the Rhodians are thalassocrats from about 800 B. c. for the short space of twenty-three years ..."
6. The Discoveries in Crete and Their Bearing on the History of Ancient by Ronald Montagu Burrows (1907)
"Alliance with the sea has been symbolised in some such way by many later thalassocrats, from Poly- crates * to Aristeides and the Delian League,5 from the ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Thalassocrats