Alternative terms for "The sublime"
The Sublime Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: The Sublime Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of The Sublime
Literary usage of The sublime
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Kant's Kritik of Judgment by Immanuel Kant (1892)
"For as an act of the aesthetical reflective Judgment, the satisfaction in the Sublime must be represented just as in the case of the Beautiful,—according to ..."
2. Kant's Kritik of Judgment by Immanuel Kant (1892)
"Of the divisions of an investigation into the feeling of the sublime As regards the division of the moments of the aesthetical judging of objects in ..."
3. The Harvard Classics by Charles William Eliot (1909)
"Hence arises the great power of the sublime, that, far from being produced by ... Astonishment, as I have said, is the effect of the sublime in its highest ..."
4. The Bibliographer's Manual of English Literature: Containing an Account of by William Thomas Lowndes, Henry George Bohn (1865)
"Dionysius Longinus on the Sublime, translated with Notes, &c., and some Account of the Life and Writings of the Author, by Wm. Smith, DD Second edition ..."
5. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"Burke finds the essence of the sublime to consist in terror, acting whether openly or latently. Blair sees the cause of the feeling of pleasurable elation ..."
6. A Dictionary of the English Language: In which the Words are Deduced from ...by Samuel Johnson by Samuel Johnson (1805)
"the sublime is a gallicism, but now naturalized. ... the sublime rises from the nobleness of thoughts, the magnificence of the words, or the harmonious and ..."
7. The Philosophy of Kant Explained by John Watson (1908)
"of the sublime is an adjunct to the aesthetic judgment of purposiveness in nature ... Forms of the Sublime. The analysis of the sublime compels us to make a ..."