Definition of Thermit
1. Noun. (alternative spelling of thermite) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Thermit
1. thermite [n -S] - See also: thermite
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Thermit Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Thermit
Literary usage of Thermit
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Marine Engineers' Handbook by Frank Ward Sterling (1920)
"In marine repairs, the field of application of the thermit Process ... A number of Navy repair ships are completely equipped with thermit welding outfits. ..."
2. Transactions of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and (1914)
"The Use of Anti-Piping thermit in Casting Steel Ingots. BY EA BECK, NEW YORK, ... FOR a number of years many attempts have been made to use thermit in order ..."
3. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1906)
"thermit.—If powdered aluminum or aluminum filings are mixed with a certain amount of powdered iron oxide and the mixture set on fire, a temperature of 5400° ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"The thermit is then poured into the crucible from bags containing, the necessary ... In making marine and other large repairs thermit welding has proved ..."
5. Handbook of Construction Equipment: Its Cost and Use by Richard Turner Dana (1921)
"thermit is a mixture of finely divided aluminum and iron oxide. ... The thermit reaction produces an exceedingly high temperature, the liquid mass attaining ..."
6. Foundry Practice: A Text Book for Molders, Students and Apprentices by Reginald Heber Palmer (1911)
"thermit Welding.—The introduction of the thermit process has rendered possible the ... thermit is a mixture of fine aluminum filings and iron oxide, which, ..."
7. Handbook of Mechanical and Electrical Cost Data: Giving Shipping Weights by Halbert Powers Gillette, Richard Turner Dana (1918)
"number of rail joints by the thermit process has been obtain- i from Mr. MJ ... thermit Process. The process of welding consists in pounce molten mild steel ..."