Definition of Total heat
1. Noun. (thermodynamics) a thermodynamic quantity equal to the internal energy of a system plus the product of its volume and pressure. "Enthalpy is the amount of energy in a system capable of doing mechanical work"
Generic synonyms: Physical Property
Category relationships: Thermodynamics
Total Heat Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Total Heat Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Total Heat
Literary usage of Total heat
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1911)
"Adopting this definition, without restriction to the case of an ideal vapour or to saturation -pressure, the rate of variation of the total heat with ..."
2. The Steam-engine and Other Heat-engines by James Alfred Ewing (1910)
"total heat of steam. Adding together the heat taken in during the first and second ... This quantity used to be called the total heat of saturated steam. ..."
3. The Mechanical Theory of Heat by Rudolf Clausius (1879)
"Thus in a cyclical process the total heat imparted to the body (ie the algebraical ... total heat—Latent and Specific Heat. In former times, when heat was ..."
4. Heat by Edward Marvin Shealy (1914)
"total heat of Steam.—The total heat of steam is all of the heat required to heat water from 32° F. to the boiling point and then to change it into steam. ..."
5. Steam Power Plant Engineering by George Frederick Gebhardt (1917)
"total heat or Heat Content. — The total heat of saturated steam X, Btu per pound above 32 deg. fahr., is evidently the sum of the heat of the liquid and the ..."
6. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1907)
"total heat. — The total quantity of heat absorbed by any substance, solid, ... SOLUTION. of a cubic foot < ice being 144 BTU, the total heat required to ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Total heat