Definition of Trim down
1. Verb. Cut down on; make a reduction in. "They will trim down the duet"; "The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
Specialized synonyms: Shorten, Spill, Quench, Retrench, Slash, Thin Out, Thin, Detract, Take Away, Deflate, Inflate, Downsize, Subtract, Knock Off, Shave
Related verbs: Cut
Generic synonyms: Decrease, Lessen, Minify
Derivative terms: Cutback, Reduction, Reductive, Trim
Trim Down Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Trim Down Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Trim Down
Literary usage of Trim down
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Practical Boat-sailing: A Concise and Simple Treatise on the Management of by Douglas Frazar (1907)
"Let go the jib-sheet, and trim down to starboard, Tom ! That will do. Belay ! " There ! Don't she move through the water well? Just a nice working-breeze. ..."
2. Dialect Notes by American Dialect Society (1890)
"NY c. [Cf. traipse, 334.] Trojan : an inhabitant of Troy, NY ^ trolley: an electric street car. Conn., NY c., sw, NJ s.. O. n. trim, also trim down, ..."
3. A French-English Military Technical Dictionary by Cornélis De Witt Willcox (1899)
"MT. va, to draw (win>) down. wir. v. a , to rough-hew, rough down, dress down roughly (of materials); to reduce approximately to shape, trim down; down; ..."
4. Tire Repairing and Vulcanizing by Henry Horace Tufford (1918)
"Roll well. 10. Should you have to apply new tread, see tread section for build-up. 11. Perforate your whole repair well for air vents and trim down smooth ..."
5. Naval Architecture: A Treatise on Laying Off and Building Wood, Iron, and by Samuel James Pope Thearle (1876)
"trim down the curved side of the timber straight from line to line, and the outer surface of the timber will be to its required shape. ..."
6. Recreation by George O. Shields, American Canoe Association, League of American Sportsmen (1899)
"Make one print full plate size, use judgment and trim down to your subject and its necessary accompaniments; then trim the rest of your paper to that size, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Trim down