Definition of Twelve tribes of israel
1. Noun. Twelve kin groups of ancient Israel each traditionally descended from one of the twelve sons of Jacob.
Generic synonyms: Clan, Kin, Kin Group, Kindred, Kinship Group, Tribe
Specialized synonyms: Lost Tribes
Twelve Tribes Of Israel Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Twelve Tribes Of Israel Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Twelve Tribes Of Israel
Literary usage of Twelve tribes of israel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Englishman's Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament by George V. Wigram (1866)
"The sceptre shall not depart if a man smite his servant,...with a rod, these (are) the twelve tribes of Israel: according to the twelve tribes of Israel. ..."
2. A History of Egypt Under the Pharaohs: Derived Entirely from the Monuments by Heinrich Karl Brugsch, Henry Danby Seymour (1881)
"... must have coincided almost exactly with the country included later within the boundaries of the twelve tribes of Israel. With this key in hand, ..."
3. Universal History: The Oldest Historical Group of Nations and the Greeks by Leopold von Ranke (1885)
"THE twelve tribes of israel. WK have thus three great forms of religious worship appearing side by side—the local religion of the Egyptians, the universal ..."
4. Universal History: The Oldest Historical Group of Nations and the Greeks by Leopold von Ranke (1884)
"... CHAPTER H. THE twelve tribes of israel. WE have thus three great forms of religious worship appearing side by side—the local religion of the Egyptians, ..."
5. Sermons by Henry Edward Manning (1850)
"... ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, ..."
6. The Apocalypse Explained According to the Spiritual Sense: In which the by Emanuel Swedenborg, John Curtis Ager (1894)
"... and "the twelve tribes of Israel" signify all who are of the church : these words signify, therefore, that the Lord is to judge all from Divine truth, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Twelve tribes of israel