Definition of Work out
1. Verb. Come up with. "We worked up an ad for our client"
2. Verb. Happen in a certain way, leading to, producing, or resulting in a certain outcome, often well. "Not everything worked out in the end and we were disappointed"
3. Verb. Work out in detail. "Elaborate a plan"
Related verbs: Work Up
Generic synonyms: Develop, Make Grow
Derivative terms: Elaboration
4. Verb. Do physical exercise. "They work out themselves"; "She works out in the gym every day"
Specialized synonyms: Limber Up, Loosen Up, Warm Up, Train, Tumble, Strengthen, Tone, Tone Up, Press, Weight-lift, Weightlift
Related verbs: Exercise, Work
Derivative terms: Exercise, Exerciser, Exercising, Workout
5. Verb. Be calculated. "The fees work out to less than $1,000"
Generic synonyms: Add Up, Amount, Come, Number, Total
6. Verb. Make a mathematical calculation or computation.
Category relationships: Math, Mathematics, Maths
Generic synonyms: Reason
Specialized synonyms: Quantise, Quantize, Extract, Process, Prorate, Miscalculate, Misestimate, Recalculate, Average, Average Out, Factor, Factor In, Factor Out, Add, Add Together, Deduct, Subtract, Take Off, Multiply, Divide, Fraction, Extrapolate, Interpolate, Differentiate, Integrate, Survey, Approximate, Estimate, Gauge, Guess, Judge, Budget, Capitalise, Capitalize, Resolve, Solve
Derivative terms: Calculable, Calculation, Calculation, Calculator, Calculator, Calculus, Cipher, Computation, Computation, Computer, Computer, Cypher, Figure, Figure, Figurer, Figuring, Reckoner, Reckoning
Also: Figure Out, Reckon
7. Verb. Find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of. "He could not work the math problem"
Generic synonyms: Understand
Specialized synonyms: Answer, Resolve, Riddle, Strike, Guess, Infer, Answer, Break
Derivative terms: Solution, Solvent, Solver, Solving, Workable
8. Verb. Give a workout to. "They work out the animals"; "This puzzle will exercise your mind"
Related verbs: Exercise
Specialized synonyms: Warm Up
Generic synonyms: Put To Work, Work
Derivative terms: Exercise, Exerciser, Workout
Definition of Work out
1. Verb. (transitive with object after '''out''') To calculate. ¹
2. Verb. (transitive) To make sense of. ¹
3. Verb. (transitive) To smooth. ¹
4. Verb. (intransitive) To conclude with the correct solution. ¹
5. Verb. (intransitive) To succeed. ¹
6. Verb. (intransitive) To habitually exercise rigorously, especially by lifting weights, in order to increase strength or muscle mass or maintain fitness. ¹
7. Verb. (transitive intransitive) (&lit work out) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Work Out Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Work Out Images