Definition of Arethusa bulbosa
1. Noun. A bog orchid with usually a solitary fragrant magenta pink blossom with a wide gaping corolla; Canada.
Group relationships: Genus Arethusa
Generic synonyms: Arethusa
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arethusa Bulbosa
Literary usage of Arethusa bulbosa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Exotic Flora: Containing Figures and Descriptions of New, Rare Or Otherwise by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1827)
"Br. Arethusa bulbosa. Arethusa bulbosa, LINN. Sp. Pt . v. ii. p. 134-6'.—WILLD. Sp. PI. v.iv. p. 80. —PURSH, Fl. N. Am. v. ii. p. 591.—BR. in Hart. Kew. ed. ..."
2. Nantucket Wild Flowers by Alice Owen Albertson (1921)
"... ORCHID FAMILY Arethusa bulbosa, L. Magenta-crimson to rose purple Wild Pink, ... named for the nymph Arethusa. Bulbosa: Latin for full of bulbs. ..."
3. Our Native Orchids: A Series of Drawings from Nature of All the Species by William Hamilton Gibson, Helena Dewey Leeming Jelliffe (1905)
"... ARETHUSA Arethusa bulbosa L. (Plate XXXIV.) ONE of the most charming of the spring flowers that flutters on its grass-like stem over cranberry bogs and ..."
4. Bog-trotting for Orchids by Grace Greylock Niles (1904)
"... species north of Mexico t Hoosac Valley species 1 New England species: 1. A. bulbosa Linnaeus, 1753. 1.—Arethusa bulbosa Linnaeus, 1753 BEAUTIFUL ..."
5. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1894)
"Arethusa bulbosa L. Sp. Pl. 950 (1753). 6. EPIPACTIS R. Br. in Ait. Hort. Kew, Ed. 2, 5 : 201 (1813). 1251. Epipactis viridiflora (Hoffm.) Reichb. Fl. Exe. ..."