Definition of Aum Shinrikyo
1. Noun. A terrorist organization whose goal is to take over Japan and then the world; based on a religion founded in 1987 that combines elements of Buddhism with Christianity. "In 1995 Aum members released deadly sarin gas on a Tokyo subway train"
Category relationships: Act Of Terrorism, Terrorism, Terrorist Act
Generic synonyms: Foreign Terrorist Organization, Fto, Terrorist Group, Terrorist Organization
Geographical relationships: Japan, Nihon, Nippon
Aum Shinrikyo Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Aum Shinrikyo Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aum Shinrikyo
Literary usage of Aum Shinrikyo
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Terroristic Threats to the U.S: Hearing Before the Committee on Armed edited by Jim Saxton (2000)
"In effect, Aum Shinrikyo hurriedly crossed the threshold into chemical ... Aum Shinrikyo, in terms of its financial backing, resources, organization and ..."
2. Addressing Foodborne Threats to Health: Policies, Practices, and by Board on Global Health, Forum on Microbial Threats, Institute of Medicine (U.S. (2006)
"... this "event" liai in the book edited by Jonathan Tuci The extensive briefing material eluded two published papers that refl the Japanese Aum Shinrikyo ..."
3. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"The only religion under active government surveillance is the Aum Shinrikyo "cult," which also was designated by the US Department of State as a terrorist ..."
4. National Symposium on Medical and Public Health Response to Bioterrorism edited by Joseph E. McDade (1999)
"Four years later, with Aum Shinrikyo attempting to rebuild itself, many in Japan and ... Aum Shinrikyo began its public campaign of terror on June 27, 1994. ..."