Definition of Ben Jonson
1. Noun. English dramatist and poet who was the first real poet laureate of England (1572-1637).
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ben Jonson
Literary usage of Ben Jonson
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Twelfth Night: Or, What You Will by William Shakespeare, Henry Norman Hudson (1911)
"(2) Reference by Ben Jonson. Steevens held that Ben Jonson referred to Twelfth Night in the following passage in the dialogue between Cordatus and Mitis at ..."
2. The Library of Literary Criticism of English and American Authors by Charles Wells Moulton (1901)
"Ben Jonson favourite subject with persons of more industry than intelligence in the early eighteenth century, that a singular fabric of myth grew up round ..."
3. Catalogueby Manton Free Library, Exeter, R.I. Manton Free Library, Washburn Observatory, Colorado State Library, Exeter (R.I.), Woodman Astronomical Library, Liverpool (England) by Manton Free Library, Exeter, R.I. Manton Free Library, Washburn Observatory, Colorado State Library, Exeter (R.I.), Woodman Astronomical Library, Liverpool (England) (1884)
"The Devil is an Ass; The Staple of News; The New Inn, or the Light Heart; Ode to himself; An Answer to the Ode, by Owen Feltham ; An Answer 10 Ben Jonson s ..."
4. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (1916)
"grimy marine dealer's shop beyond the Liffey he would repeat the song by Ben Jonson which begins: / was not wearier where I lay. 9 His mind when wearied of ..."
5. A History of English Dramatic Literature to the Death of Queen Anne by Adolphus William Ward (1875)
"The literary fame of Ben Jonson. CHAPTER V. BEN JON SON. ... Indeed, with certain exceptions, Ben Jonson has met with a very one-sided justice at the hands ..."
6. Representative English Comedies: With Introductory Essays and Notes, an by Charles Mills Gayley, Alwin Thaler (1913)
"The Dramatic Works of Ben Jonson, and Beaumont and Fletcher : The First Printed ... The Works of Ben Jonson with a memoir by Barry Cornwall (BP Procter). ..."
7. Shakespeare's Dramatic Art: History and Character of Shakespeare's Plays by Hermann Ulrici (1876)
"THE BEN-JONSON SCHOOL—continued. Beaumont and Fletcher, Massinger, Ford artd Field. BEX JONSON'S opinion as to the nature of dramatic poetry, his conception ..."