Definition of Clangula hyemalis
1. Noun. A common long-tailed sea duck of the northern parts of the United States.
Generic synonyms: Sea Duck
Group relationships: Clangula, Genus Clangula
Clangula Hyemalis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Clangula Hyemalis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Clangula Hyemalis
Literary usage of Clangula hyemalis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1895)
"GENUS CLANGULA LEACH. Clangula LEACH, in Ross's Voy. Disc. 1819, App. p. xlviii. Type, Anas glacial is LINN. 154. Clangula hyemalis (LINN.). Old-squaw. ..."
2. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"Clangula LEACH, in Ross's Voy. Disc. 1819, App. p. xlviii. Type, Anas glacialis LINN. 154. Clangula hyemalis (LINN.). Old-squaw. Anas hyemalis LINN. SN ed. ..."
3. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1903)
"Clangula hyemalis Linn. Old Squaw. Migratory ; very rare. This species is new to our fauna. Its capture was communicated to me by my friend, Dr. R. Matthews ..."
4. Birds of the Kotzebue Sound Region, Alaska by Joseph Grinnell (1900)
"... glacialis; Clangula hyemalis. STATUS—Rather rare midwinter visitant; recorded at intervals along the seacoast south to San Diego Bay; more frequent ..."
5. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1888)
"... the old squaw (Clangula hyemalis} have respectively thirty-three and thirty-four distinct vernacular designations. Half that number is about the rule, ..."