Definition of Enea Silvio Piccolomini
1. Noun. Italian pope from 1458 to 1464 who is remembered for his unsuccessful attempt to lead a crusade against the Turks (1405-1464).
Generic synonyms: Bishop Of Rome, Catholic Pope, Holy Father, Pontiff, Pope, Roman Catholic Pope, Vicar Of Christ
Lexicographical Neighbors of Enea Silvio Piccolomini
Literary usage of Enea Silvio Piccolomini
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Papacy and the Levant, 1204-1571 by Kenneth M. Setton (1978)
"Berthe Widmer, Enea Silvio Piccolomini, Papst Pius II, Basel and Stuttgart, 1960, has written a good brief life of Pius, with extensive selections from his ..."
2. Æneas Silvius (Enea Silvio De' Piccolomini--Pius II.): Orator, Man of by William Boulting (1908)
"So Capranica engaged Enea Silvio Piccolomini as his secretary, and thus the first introduction of the young humanist to public life was under the auspices ..."
3. Classic and Italian Painting by Edward John Poynter, Percy Rendell Head (1880)
"The work was then for some reason interrupted for a period of three years ; in the meanwhile the Cardinal's uncle, Enea Silvio Piccolomini, had ascended the ..."
4. Descriptive and Historical Catalogue of the Pictures in the National Gallery by National Gallery (Great Britain) (1906)
"These works, executed for Cardinal Piccolomini and illustrating the life of Enea Silvio Piccolomini, afterwards Pope Pius II. ..."
5. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"A few letters extant under his name are spurious. PIUS II. (Enea Silvio Piccolomini, commonly known in literature as ..."