Definition of Frisia
1. Noun. An ancient region of northwestern Europe including the Frisian Islands.
Terms within: Friesland
Group relationships: Europe
Derivative terms: Frisian
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Frisia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Frisia
Literary usage of Frisia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Circuit Court of the United by Samuel Blatchford, Circuit Court (2nd Circuit, United States (1888)
"The Frisia and the John N. Parker. that, it being the duty of the tug to avoid ... As to the Frisia, he held that the whistles of the tug were all of them ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General (1890)
"About this timr the country of the Frisians was divided into three distinct districts :—Western Frisia, stretching from the ..."
3. History of the Christian Church: A.D. 64-1517 by James Craigie Robertson (1862)
"... and, with two companions, he crossed the sea to Frisia, in the year 716.h The state of things in that country was unfavourable for his design. ..."
4. The Church in Germany by Sabine Baring-Gould (1891)
"Makes a second attempt in Frisia —His missionary success in Hesse—He revisits Rome— Consecrated bishop—With metropolitan powers—Charles Martell suffers him ..."
5. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1917)
"... (4) Seizure of letter mail on steamship Frisia Steamship Hellig Olaf, 109 bags containing rubber have been found in parcels mail Steamships Hellig Olaf ..."
6. The Growth of English Industry and Commerce by William Cunningham (1890)
"II THE ENGLISH IN Frisia. BC 55. 19. The earliest evidence which we possess in regard to those Germans among whom the English tribes were included 4, ..."
7. The Monastic Life from the Fathers of the Desert to Charlemagne by Thomas William Allies (1896)
"His brethren in Frisia had selected ... carried on his episcopate in Frisia, and was given by Pepin, Mayor of the Palace, an island in the ..."
8. Councils and ecclesiastical documents relating to Great Britain and Ireland by William Stubbs, David Wilkins (1871)
"... Bishop of Hcx- AD 692 or 693 (AT., CD XXXV.). Hedd» ham. AD 692. Mission of Willibrord^ 'with eleven others, to Frisia ¡ and of the two ..."