Definition of Fukien
1. Noun. Any of the forms of Chinese spoken in Fukien province.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fukien Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fukien
Literary usage of Fukien
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Revenue and Taxation of the Chinese Empire by Joseph Edkins, China Hai kuan tsung shui wu ssu shu (1903)
"The viceroy of Fukien reports annually the amount remaining at the end of each year in the salt tax treasury. Hu-pao, May 27th, 1902. ..."
2. The Provinces of China: Together with a History of the First Year of H.I.M by Clarence Dalrymple Bruce (1910)
"Fukien is almost exactly the same size as Mississippi, USA, ... Fukien The people of Fukien are reputed to be the least tractable of the Chinese, ..."
3. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1916)
"EXCHANGE OF NOTES RESPECTING THE Fukien QUESTION Note Peking, the 25th day of the 5th month of the 4th year of the Republic of China Excellency, ..."
4. The Journal of Geography (1915)
"METHODS OF TRANSPORTATION CHINA IN Fukien PROVINCE, By Ling Hau Deng ... Let me consider especially Fukien province in some detail. ..."
5. Railway Problems in China by Mongton Chih Hsu (1915)
"The Fukien Railway * In 1905, the Merchants' Fukien Railway Co. was ... and a right of way was secured to connect Fukien with Kwangtung on the south, ..."
6. Christian Education in China: A Study Made by an Educational Commission by China Educational Commission (1922)
"Fukien. South China: Kwangtung, Kwangsi. West China: Kansu, Szechwan, Kweichow, ... Fukien, were it not for difficulties of topography and transportation, ..."
7. Journal of the North China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society by Shanghai Literary and Scientific Society (1882)
"Opposite this island gate, a third arm of the sea runs north to Ta-ho (in Fukien). The distance round the bay from Ts'ien-k'i to the point above mentioned ..."