Definition of Ghana
1. Noun. A republic in West Africa on the Gulf of Guinea. "Ghana was colonized as the Gold Coast by the British"
Terms within: Lake Volta, Accra, Capital Of Ghana, Kumasi, Tamale, Volta
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Group relationships: Africa
Member holonyms: Ewe, Ghanian
Derivative terms: Ghanaian, Ghanian
Definition of Ghana
1. Proper noun. A country in Western Africa. Official name: The Republic of Ghana. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Ghana
1. A republic in western africa, south of burkina faso and west of togo. Its capital is accra. It was called the gold coast until 1957, from the gold discovered there by the portuguese in the late 15th century. A centre for slave trade, it was acquired by the british in the 19th century and became independent in 1957. Ghana took its name from a tribal leader that stands for king. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ghana
Literary usage of Ghana
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cut and Run: Illegal Logging and Timber Trade in the Tropics by Rob Glastra (1999)
"Most of the existing conservation areas in Ghana are too small to maintain populations of animal and plant species in the long term ..."
2. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero, Stanley Mordaunt Leathes, Ernest Alfred Benians (1903)
"... should be made to reach Bilad Ghana itself, through which the " Western Nile " rolled its waters from the highlands of Abyssinia and the Christian realm ..."
3. The Cornerstone of Development: Integrating Environmental, Social, and by Jamie Schnurr, Susan Holtz (1998)
"This case study draws on research on wetlands management in Ghana — a project undertaken by Friends of the Earth, Ghana (FOE-Ghana), a nonprofit, ..."
4. Agents of Change: Studies on the Policy Environment for Small Enterprise in by Edward Philip English, Georges-Maurice Hénault (1995)
"These sectors have hardly any access to institutional credit in Ghana. ... The Ghana Statistical Service, which is conducting a study to determine the exact ..."
5. Water Hyacinth in Africa and the Middle East: A Survey of Problems and Solutions by Luis A. Navarro, George Phiri, George Yobe Kanyama-Phiri (2000)
"Institute of Aquatic Biology • Irrigation Department Authority • Plant Protection and Regulatory Services Department • University of Ghana • Volta River ..."
6. Agricultural Expansion and Pioneer Settlements in the Humid Tropics by Walther Manshard, William B. Morgan (1988)
"The development of the cocoa industry in Ghana since the nineteenth century has been characterized by the spontaneous colonization of relatively empty lands ..."