Definition of Hindustani
1. Noun. A native or inhabitant of Hindustan or India.
Group relationships: Hindustan
Generic synonyms: Asian, Asiatic
Specialized synonyms: Brahman, Brahmin, Kshatriya, Rajpoot, Rajput, Shudra, Sudra, Vaisya
Derivative terms: Hindoo
2. Adjective. Of or relating to or characteristic of Hindustan or its people or language.
3. Noun. A form of Hindi spoken around Delhi.
Definition of Hindustani
1. Adjective. (dated) Related to India, or historically the entire Indian subcontinent. ¹
2. Proper noun. (dated) A person from India (historically the entire Indian subcontinent). ¹
3. Proper noun. The name of the language which constitutes the Hindi and Urdu registers. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hindustani Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hindustani
Literary usage of Hindustani
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1909)
"Hindustani. Adalut Khan. A vocabulary of one thousand words for the ... Arnot (S.) Grammar of the Hindustani tongue in the Oriental and Roman character. ..."
2. A Catalogue of the Library of the Hon. East-India Company by East India Company Library (1845)
"8vo London, 1831 Arnot (S.), Grammar of the Hindustani Tongue in the Oriental ... R.), a Grammar of the Hindustani Language, with Notices of the Braj and ..."
3. A General Catalogue of Books Offered to the Public at the Affixed Prices by by Bernard Quaritch (Firm) (1887)
"7s Gd Calcutta, 1808 34679 AKHLAK-I HINDI : Mir Bahadur Ali's translation into Hindustani, of a Persian version of the Hitopadesa, 8vo. plainly written MS. ..."
4. The Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: Commercial by Edward Balfour (1885)
"Early in his service he had passed as Interpreter in the Hindustani language; he was for years employed as Persian and Hindustani Translator to Government ..."
5. Original Sanskrit Texts on the Origin and History of the People of India by John Muir (1874)
"The Popular Dictionary in English and Hindustani and Hindustani and English, ... A Hindustani EXERCISE BOOK. Containing a Series of Passages and Extracts ..."
6. Trübner's Catalogue of Dictionaries and Grammars of the Principal Languages by Trübner (1882)
"Hindustani SELECTIONS in the Naskhi and Devanagari Character. ... The Popular Dictionary in English and Hindustani and Hindustani and English, with a Number ..."