Definition of Juglans californica
1. Noun. Medium-sized tree with somewhat aromatic compound leaves and edible nuts.
Group relationships: Genus Juglans, Juglans
Generic synonyms: Walnut, Walnut Tree
Juglans Californica Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Juglans Californica Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Juglans Californica
Literary usage of Juglans californica
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Studies in Heredity as Illustrated by the Trichomes of Species and Hybrids by William Austin Cannon (1909)
"Leaves of Juglans californica X Juglans nigra,Fv compared with those of the pure species. ]. nigra. ]. californica X nigra. Leaves with 13 to 21 leaf- lets ..."
2. The Silva of California by Willis Linn Jepson (1910)
"J. regia L., Persian or English Walnut, is extensively cultivated in California. 1. Juglans californica Wats. CALIFORNIA BLACK WALNUT. Plate 57. ..."
3. The Trees of California by Willis Linn Jepson (1909)
"Juglans californica Wats. Figs. 82 and 83. Leaves pinnately compound, with 11 ... Juglans californica in typical low-branching form is limited to Southern ..."
4. Evolution and Animal Life: An Elementary Discussion of Facts, Processes by David Starr Jordan, Vernon Lyman Kellogg (1907)
"Juglans californica (staminate parent) and J. nigra (pistillate parent), which grows with an amazing vigor and rapidity, the trees increasing in size at ..."
5. Biennial Report by California Dept. of Agriculture, California State Commission of Horticulture (1896)
"The variety mostly used is the Juglans californica, or California black walnut. (Plate XXI, Fig. 11.) In a few instances Juglans Americana, ..."